ASEA-UNINET acts as a role model for cooperation and quality research between Europe and the ASEAN region. Recognizing the process of increasing globalization and of continuous internationalisation of education and research, ASEA-UNINET builds it success on equal footing in collaboration and fostering scientific and intercultural exchange.
ASEA-UNINET was founded in 1994 by Austrian and South-East Asian (Indonesian, Thai and Vietnamese) universities as an association of European and South-East Asian universities with the mission
- to encourage and facilitate relationships between universities, governmental and non-governmental organisations and economic operators engaged in projects related to education, science, technology, innovation and art in the countries of the member universities,
- to contribute research relevant to the world´s problems, specifically to the target areas set out in the sustainable development goals and implementing SDG´s slogan of “no one should be left behind”,
- to enable and support cooperation between academic institutions in staff/student exchange, teaching and research activities,
- to promote scientific, cultural and human relationships and personal contacts and to increase intercultural exchange and understanding.
The partners of ASEA-UNINET decided to unite their efforts in
- assisting the formation of coalitions of resources for academic activities between member institutions,
- initiating projects and programmes of mutual interest and benefit for faculties, staff and students,
- recruiting funding and financing for those programmes and activities by all member institutions from university and national government sources, as well as international funding agencies and from the private sector according to available project lines
- maintaining a fair balance in contributions to projects and programmes among the partners according to their economic and financial situation,
- acting as a forum of continuous discussions on the progress of these projects, and serving as a network of excellence providing expertise and initiatives for entities seeking European-S.E.Asian relations.